June 20, 2010

Dirty Fingernails.

“Look into the eyes of the ones who are hardest for you to like, and see the One you love. For God loves good and bad people. Even God doesn't grasp for the knowledge of good and evil but sends rain to water the fields of both the just and the unjust. That's why enemy love is the only thing that Jesus says makes a person like God – perfect.” - Shane Claiborne Jesus for President

While doing a little late night reading tonight, after a fabulous day of travels and bliss, I stumbled across this idea from the mind and work of Shane Claiborne. Shane is one of my favorite authors, not just because I think he is really cool – but because he always challenges me to take a new perspective on life or certain situations.

This is what I take away from this quote:

Loving everyone, particularly your enemies brings you 1.) closer to achieving the proper reflection of the image of God, but 2.) brings you closer to God. I like that the quote says that God doesn't discriminate on the unjust, just because of their state of being... but that he fulfills their needs too.

I would never say that I am one to make a lot of enemies, but I have definitely encountered my share of people that I don't get along with. But with those experiences I've always been taught to show love, and with all of them... in the end, I have been able to make lasting bonds with those people. Looking deep into the eyes of someone you don't get along with, and seeing Jesus... sometimes is like a slap in the face, but to your soul... makes a world of difference when it comes to showing them love.

I just needed to share this quote. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment